Candice Mckinney's Reviews > The Double Life of Alfred Buber

The Double Life of Alfred Buber by David Schmahmann

F 50x66
Jul 17, 11

Read from July 06 to 14, 2011

I won this copy of The Double Life of Alfred Buber from Goodreads. In the beginning I had a little trouble getting interested in this book. The more I read the more interested I became in this story. This is a story of Alfred Buber who grew up in Rhodesia with a communist Jewish father. He sent Alfred to America to get a college education. He never quite fit in but his determination to live in a nice house kept him working toward that goal. Alfred became a very successful and well respected lawyer. But he told his co-workers he was visiting Paris and instead went to Bangkok in serch of teenage girls. He immediately became infatuated with one of the young Asian girls in a bar he went into. After he went home he was obsessed with Nok, the teenage girl. It took him a year to return and search for her. He can only keep his two lives seperate for so long. This is a tragic tale. I think Alfred's biggest problem is that he only saw his accomplishments in money and objects that he was able to obtain. He does not even like himself and so he thinks other people see him the same way which does not seem to be true. When he sees people later in life it is obvious they thought a lot of him. It keeps you thinking about the book long after the last page has been read. Always a sign of a good book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Double Life of Alfred Buber.