Victory Wong's Reviews > Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Feb 27, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in September, 2008

Facinating, it gives me the willies though to think of what the hell I might have eaten as a kid. I'm sorry SH*T in the the meat??? Aurgh it makes me ill just thinking about. And salmonella everywhere, ecoli... Almost enough to make me a vegetarian, or at least be very very careful about every piece of meat I put in my mouth. Takes you through the impact of not only Mickeydees but also the impact of large corporations in the end of the book, makes you think of Starbuckies and the suh. I saw a Starbucks in Delhi, India in 2001 and it gave me the creeps.

And yet I still had an odd craving for Mcdonalds fries. What that says about me I don't know. Then again I ate a steak while watching Silence of the Lambs (not deliberately) and found the steak was just as tasty as ever so who knows what goes on in my subconscious...

At some point I might have read this or large sections of it earlier but apparently not a lot of it stuck which is not my normaly mode de reading but I'm not sure so I guess I'll not worry I'm losing brain cells. It is very interesting so there's no reason I'd be bored, parts of it are downright shocking so I guess I didn't, I think the movie is perhaps confusing me.

And beyond the food it's distresing to read about the workers, the environment they are forced to work in and the low pay, the health risks, injuries and how they are pressured to not sue for justifyably sue-able injuries... A must read for anyone who eats... anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fast Food Nation.