Michelle's Reviews > Three Wishes

Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty

May 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011, contemp, own, pure-comedy, fluff-n-stuff
Read in May, 2011

Attracting attention wherever they go, the triplets Gemma, Cat and Lyn Kettle couldn't be more different - or closer. Gemma is the flighty one and can't seem to hold onto a job, or a boyfriend to save her life. While sarcastic Cat has always been in control and ready to take charge especially when it comes to her job and her marriage. And organized Lyn seems to have it all: the career, the loving husband, and the kids. As these three independent yet devoted sisters get ready to celebrate their thirty-fourth birthday, each will deal with heartaches and joys aplenty. From rocky marriages to unexpected pregnancies and even long-secret revelations brought to light, these three women manage to conquer each new obstacle in the trademark Kettle way - together.

I suppose I should go ahead and say that Liane Moriarty will now be added to my auto-buy list of chick lit authors. Up there with Jennifer Cruise and Julie James, Moriarty manages to capture the distinct personalities of these three dynamic women in such an endearing way without ever glossing over their less than savory attributes. Cat, Gemma, and Lyn are human. They make mistakes. But they each love deeply and are fiercely loyal to each other which makes me love them that much more. I adored their constant banter, which never fails to highlight their individual temperaments and how they continually poke fun at their infamous triplet status.

Cleverly added to the sisters' narrative, Liane Moriarty randomly included various accounts of strangers memories of meeting the triplets. As odd as it may seem, these vignettes (often hilarious) though from an outsiders point of view, often helped me to get a better handle on certain events and made each sister that much more understandable and accessible. Very clever Ms. Moriarty.

Three Wishes is an utter winner all about the highs and lows of being part of a close-knit family of sisters. I simply cannot wait to see what I discover from this fabulous author next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Wishes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Porsche (new)

Porsche Excepting some gritty parts, I really liked this book. I thought it was one that you could identify with at least one of the sisters.

Michelle Porsche wrote: "Excepting some gritty parts, I really liked this book. I thought it was one that you could identify with at least one of the sisters."

Exactly! At some point, I identified with each of the three women and that is remarkable. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one too. Have you read any of her other books?