Brian's Reviews > Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose

liked it
Recommended to Brian by: Otis Chandler
Read from May 19 to 21, 2011

(3.5) Not as inspired as it appears others have been, but good stuff

Definitely enjoyed the LinkExchange and Zappos history in the first part. And appreciate the passion that Tony and the rest of Zappos have for their culture, but I didn't need to read so many letters from their employees, customers and vendors. If I wanted to read their Culture Book, I would've. ;)

I certainly do aspire to feel and instill the passion captured in the book, however, so it certainly wasn't a wasted read.

Some takeaways:

* never compromise values in hiring decisions
* focus on employees' growth plans, let them control their destiny and achieve steady (or breakneck ;) ) progress without stagnation
* build a people pipeline (they take it to the extreme in which their pipeline starts 4 years before hiring date with heavy focus on internships)
* build a tribe around you if you can. surround yourself at work and play with the same people

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delivering Happiness.

05/20/2011 page 48
18.0% "(Recent) Harvard alumni will probably enjoy the early chapters...really takes you back!"

message 1: by David (new) - added it

David I saw an interview with Tony Hsieh. He really seems like someone you want to work with/for.

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Worth reading? 3.5? ;)

Brian It's entertaining and I think it could be inspirational. I don't think it will change the way you do business, but I may be wrong....