JoAnn's Reviews > To Be a Mother

To Be a Mother by Cheryl St.John

May 10, 11

bookshelves: christian, romance
Read from May 02 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy

I bought this because Ruth Axtell Morren is one of the authors. She is a wonderful writer and even at novella length where there is less time to develop the characters A Family of Her Own is a lovely story.
Noah tried courting Rianna 10 years ago but she wanted to "see the world" and ended up in Boston where she worked in a factory and met and married her husband who quickly enlisted in the Union army where he was fatally wounded. She had the opportunity to nurse him before he died. She ends up becoming a nurse during and after the Civil War. It is that profession that brings her back to her hometown. She has also become a Christian and her faith is a bright and joyous one.
Meanwhile Noah has also married and had a daughter. His wife died while he was deployed with the army. He doesn't think much of God.
That is the background for the story and it is well worth reading the way they reconnect and how Noah comes to feel he can risk loving her again and how he finds faith in God.

I believe the other story, Mountain Rose by Cheryl St.John was nominated for a RITA and while it is a good story, I think it is the weaker of the two. I would like to have read something more about Jules' faith and what impact that had on him. He seems to be going along for the ride faith-wise.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Be a Mother.