Birdbath Birdbath's Reviews > The Aleph and Other Stories

The Aleph and Other Stories by Jorge Luis Borges

F 50x66
May 05, 11

When I began reading Borges, I desperately tried to “get” him. Now, I'm not simply swept away on a rhetorical magic carpet, whizzing through the cosmos, questioning reality and wondering if my brain is sitting in a jar somewhere. A present read elicits a laugh. Borges ridicules himself by revealing the writer's impossible task of describing the indescribable, the absurdity of doing (seriously) what cannot be done, the apparent pretentiousness that inevitably accompanies the act of writing (superb) fiction.

Somehow, somewhere in the snippets of his self-effacing dialogue, in his attempt to convince us he is not worthy of our adoration, I find myself gaily enjoying a drink with Joseph Smith, Jr. and Tina Fey. Describing the Aleph: an impossible, ridiculous, annoying, insane and fruitless endeavor - but here we go. Laugh at me, cry with me, go crazy with me. Marvel at my inadequate descriptions of infinity. Snicker at my vain, self-possessed interpretations of realty, my expositions on love, my lovers and my gorgeous aging face. Journey with me into the impalpable folds of your grandiose visions, perhaps the product of neurosis (maybe), psychosis (we hope not), or a miracle from God (?!).
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Aleph and Other Stories.