Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > Daughter of the Forest

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier

May 04, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, really-liked, what-a-creeper, addicted-to-ya
Read from May 02 to 04, 2011

I judge books by their cover, I admit it, so in all honesty I would have never picked up this book on it's own. It looks too science fictiony/fantasy for me, and I can never get into those books. Also, the way the girl is on the cover kinda reminded me of Archangel (Samaria, #1) by Sharon Shinn (which I still need to finish - I will Chachic!). At any rate, I saw that most of my Goodreads friends had read it and they all seemed to enjoy it... which is surprising because usually we're all across the board.

Atnywho, I picked it up and started reading. Honestly, at first I didn't see what the hype was about. I couldn't get into it. At times it seemed to drag and drag. I really wanted to just set it aside and move on, but I was convinced to keep going. My ratings were pretty all over the board. At times I had it as low as 1. In the end, it impressed me much! It was definitely an adventure.

This is not an easy book to read. It's certainly not a quick read. You get involved with the story. It pulls you in and runs through your emotions. It'd definitely more for young adults. I wanted to be Sorcha's advocate. I just wanted things to be better for her. Why should one girl have to carry the burden of so many others? The way people behaved and treated her, it was just so wrong! I can see why some of the people did what they did, but it still just made me mad.

(view spoiler)

You have to wonder why Sorcha was chosen for all this to begin with. I was expecting a journey, but not a journey. One of the things that I really liked was when Sorcha began to change and grow up. I love how she was still strong after everything. So many times in the book I thought she'd burst into tears or yell or something, but she held strong. She even gave the evil eye a few times!

I liked her brothers because, well they act like big brothers, but at the same time I wanted to throttle them sometimes!

You know, I am almost positive that Richard never saw the movie The Incredibles. Had he seen it, he would have known that monologuing is a huge no-no. I think he just loved the sound of this own voice. I was to the point where I would have just staked myself!

It's weird because I think if no one else had read the book, I would have given up on it, written it off as uninteresting or hard to get into! This is almost same thing happened with The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta except I did give up on them until I was convinced to give them another try. In all three cases, I am glad that folks convinced me to keep going.

I admit that when I was near the end (or what I thought was the end) I got so mad! All I could think was, "that's it?!! You set all that up and leave us with that?!?" (hence my 1 star rating consideration). But the author came through in the end. I know some people hate romance and happily ever afters but I love them! I crave them. I get upset if my crossword puzzle doesn't have a HEA!

Though I think some parts dragged with an abundance of information, I would have liked some clearer answers in the end. I was invested in some parts and would have liked more than just a brisk one sentence mention. (view spoiler)

I didn't read the summary until now and realized just how much was given away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Forest.

05/02/2011 "I'm trying but it's hard. It's the good reviews that are keeping me going." 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cassy A random comment on the cover: I asked a friend if he thought Sorcha was pretty. He stared at it for a while and told me her cheeks were too fat. What?!?

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Uh, I don't even know what to say to that! I always thought chubby cheeks were in. Baby face and all that... If anything I would have expected mention of the outfit!

Catie Richard and his monologuing!!

I love the spoiler within a spoiler...very sneaky!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Haha, I did something like that in another book I read recently, I think it was one of the romance books. I went overboard with the spoiler tag. Seriously, one of the best things GR could've added. I'm going to overuse it, haha. Plus, I kinda hate it when people put in write spoilers that they don't think is spoilers but is really totally a spoiler.

And Richard talked wayyy too much. I need to add him to my creeper shelf.

Chachic Yay, I'm so glad you finished reading it. It really is a hard book to read (not because I thought it was dragging but because things got so hard for Sorcha) but I love it. I love the second book in the series just as much. Juliet Marillier became a favorite author because of the Sevenwaters series.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Yay! You finished it. Nice spoiler tags! The cover does suck - and the second book isn't any better.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (second book cover that is)

Arphaxad Spoiler nesting FTW! Glad you finished/liked it Peep; my reaction(s) to this book were pretty much exactly the same as yours :)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Hahah! I have to request the next book through interlibrary loan.