Jenn's Reviews > Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

May 02, 11

bookshelves: library-books, ya
Recommended to Jenn by: The Book Lady
Recommended for: fans of strong YA heroines, people who like unconventional narration
Read on April 30, 2011

I first saw this reviewed on The Book Lady's Blog, and added it to my mental list. I should have added it to a paper list, because it took me months to remember that I wanted to read it. Saw it on the table in the YA room in my library and picked it up. Whoever sets up that table is good - at least for me. I pick up some great books that way.

This book is really well-written & reminds me so much of being 17 & 18 - the structure is somewhat unconventional, but it works. Better than some others that I've read where a multiple narrator structure is too obvious and annoying. I think it helps that 75% of the book is Vera, with just a page or two here and there from "the dead kid" and "Vera's hateful dad." I also love Vera's dad's flow-charts. Very funny, and a great insight into his character.

I read this book in a day, but it will stick with me for a while. And I would definitely read this author again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Ignore Vera Dietz.