Pamela / SpazP's Reviews > Dragon Bound

May 07, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 03 to 05, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews

Spaz: I tried to keep this review Spoiler-Free but I do discuss some of the story and I also provide quotes.

Have you ever started a book and immediately thought to yourself about the heroine, “Oh. Oh, I am going to like HER” – And then, if you are lucky, you move on to the hero and immediately think to yourself, “Oh. Oh yeah, I LIKE this guy. oh yes.” Well, that pretty much sums up my initial reaction to the heroine Pia Giovanni and the hero Dragos Cuelebre in Dragon Bound. And it all got even better from there…

In Thea Harrison’s debut novel of her new Elder Races series, she mastered the art of developing the heroine Pia in a perfect combination of vulnerability and moxy. She had me at Twizzlers and Cherry Coke Slushees. And oh my, Dragos… The most ancient of Others, he is a fierce alpha dragon and also the multibillionaire of Cuelebre Enterprise who has seen everything, been everywhere, and yet has found himself in a state of boring complacency. Pia’s ex-boyfriend has blackmailed her in to doing the unthinkable… stealing a coin from Dragos’s hoard. When he discovers the violation he blasts off in to a dragon-sized rage that costs him a good hundreds of millions $ in damage to New York City. As a unique half-wyr, living cautiously and on the run is nothing new to Pia to keep her heritage a secret, so immediately going on the run again to escape Dragos and the crime of theft she has commited is not unfamiliar to her. Except that Dragos is the most Powerful creature in the Universe, so she is pretty sure she’s done for. Dragos makes it his mission to hunt her down, and he does just that thanks to the note she wrote and left for him in chicken-scratch on the back of a 7-11 receipt:

“I’m sorry“, the message said.

The theft was a violation of privacy. It was an unbelievable act of impudence and disrespect. Not only that, it was—baffling. He was murderous, incandescent with fury. He was older than sin and could not remember when he had last been in such a rage.

He looked at the paper again.

“I’m sorry I had to take your penny. Here’s another to replace it.”

Yep, that’s what it said.

One corner of his mouth twitched. He gave himself a deep shock when he burst into an explosive guffaw. -pg. 28

Of course once he finds Pia that is truly when the fun begins. She is completely convinced that Dragos is going to render her to pieces. But to both of their utter surprise, hatred is not exactly the reaction that is sparked:

Oh my God, not only is he older than the Grand Canyon, but he’s like the pope and the Fae King and the president of the United States all rolled up into one. To some ancient cultures he had been a god.

He was going to hurt her so bad before he killed her so dead, and all she could think of was how hot his kiss had been in the dream and how delicate the touch of his finger was as it traced down her body. -pg. 76

The chase, the capture, the journey, it was all filled with entertaining action, beautiful world building and steamy tension. Turns out that Pia was just a pawn in a much larger scale Power play and Dragos learns just how unique she truly is to the magical world, but also to him. They find themselves completely enamored with one another and Dragos vows to protect Pia at all costs.

He considered what to do, examples of things he had seen, discarding one thing after another. Then he said in a quiet voice, “I don’t understand. Will you please explain to me?”

Damn him. Now he knew that saying “please” got to her, he was starting to say it. She shook her head.

He sighed. “I am old and I am often cruel and calculating, and it is not safe to be around me when I am in a rage. I do not apologize for what I am. I am a predator, and I rule other strong-minded predators. But I did not mean to distress you.” -pg. 102

*SWOON*! Here is this giant powerful almost 7 foot tall hulking man, a freaking dragon, and he wants so desperately to earn Pia’s trust. The way the two play with each other and tease is so dreamy, you catch yourself smiling when they do as they learn more about each other and fall. One of my favorite quotes from an exchange between Pia and Dragos is below. The humor all around had me giggling through the entire novel!

He rested his cheek against her head and rubbed her back. “I am cursed with a terminal case of curiosity,” he said. “I am jealous, selfish, acquisitive, territorial and possessive. I have a terrible temper, and I know I can be a cruel son of a bitch.” He cocked his head. “I used to eat people, you know.” -pg. 183

And, just in case you weren’t totally convinced to pick this book up by my gushing, I wanted to include some visuals of how I envision Dragos to appear. I present to you Dragos, using images of Jason Momoa.

The world building Ms. Harrison has created is very complex and vivid. The world of Other has gryphons and gargoyles, dark and light fae, goblins and witches. There are some demesnes that stay topside, such as Dragos in New York City and the Light Fae in Charleston. There are other species such as the Goblins who are unable to glamor and therefor stay on the Other side because they look really ugly and stinky really bad. The inter-Elder politics are very well-thought out and executed, and the secondary characters are just as awesome as the primary. The next book, Storm’s Heart, will center around Cuelebre Enterprise’s former PR fae, Thistle Periwinkle, aka Tricks, who is just a riot:

Tricks shouted point-blank into the Wyr male’s angry face, “I’ve had it up to here with your mulish bad-tempered crap, Tiago! I’ll thank you to remember my name is not ‘Tricks goddammit’ or ‘God damn you, Tricks.’ Henceforth those phrases are against the law—when you yell at me again the next one out of your mouth better be ‘Goddammit, ma’am’!” -pg. 224

This is a romance story, but a romance story with major plottage that will leave you yelling at your friends and family to quit interrupting you so that you can freaking read already. I was enamored from start to finish. Go forth my friends! Buy this book and you will see just how right I am! And have no fear, the second and third books of this series will be out later this year – woooohooo! I have them both marked on my calendar and they will definitely be auto-buys. Oh, and a quick thank-you to Mandi of Smexy Books who convincingly brought this book to my immediate attention on its release day Click on the links below for excerpts to all three books:

Dragon Bound
Storm’s Heart 8/2/2011
Serpent’s Kiss 10/4/2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Bound.

05/03/2011 page 1
0.0% 2 comments
05/04/2011 page 96
29.0% "I'm in love with this book." 6 comments
05/04/2011 page 208
62.0% "He rested his cheek against her head and rubbed her back. “I am cursed with a terminal case of curiosity,” he said. “I am jealous, selfish, acquisitive, territorial and possessive. I have a terrible temper, and I know I can be a cruel son of a bitch.” He cocked his head. “I used to eat people, you know.” LMAO!!!" 12 comments
05/05/2011 page 262
78.0% "“A dragon just gave me a piece of jewelry,” she said. She took another swig and handed the bottle back to Graydon. “Have I been added to his hoard?” "He shook his head and drank too. “No, cupcake,” he said. “I’m pretty sure you’ve replaced it." AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"

Eva (TXBookjunkie) I can't wait to read the rest of the series. This book definitely lived up to all it's hype.

Shannon C. Hi, I'm just reading the kindle sample of this now and it looks good! I've never heard of this author before.

Pamela / SpazP TOTALLY it did. Tricks' book is going to be soo good!!

Pamela / SpazP Shannon wrote: "Hi, I'm just reading the kindle sample of this now and it looks good! I've never heard of this author before."

Oh this book is definitely on of my favorites of 2011. I hope you LOVE it!

Trish Good review.