Aimee's Reviews > Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale

Mermaid by Carolyn Turgeon

May 04, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from May 02 to 04, 2011

I have many fond memories of watching Disney's The Little Mermaid with my daughter when she was little. It was her favorite movie. When I saw this retelling of the mermaid tale I was intrigued and ended up pleasantly surprised. First of all, this was a short, light read. I finished it in two days easy. The story revolves around the mermaid Lenia who longs to be human and falls in love with a prince that she saves in a storm at sea. The other part of this love triange is Margrethe, a princess from the North whose father is getting ready to go to war against the King of the South. When Lenia brings the Prince to shore she asks Margrethe to help him. She also falls in love with this Prince who we find out it is from the South, Margrethe's enemy. Lenia, with the help of magic, becomes human and finds the Prince. Margrethe leaves her father and goes to the South to find the Prince. Most of the book is spent dealing with the love triangle and the tension between these two women because of it.

I loved how much magic and imagery Carolyn Turgeon put into this book. She also spent a lot of time describing the longing both of these women felt for the Prince, to the point of desperation for both of them, and I really felt that in the book. The one thing I would have liked to have seen more of was the character of the Prince. I never really understood why they both felt they needed him so badly. He was just described as strong and handsome, nothing more. I would also say that it seemed to me that both women felt lust for him, not true love.

The suspense in the book was good, I could not wait to see how it ended. I also had a hard time deciding who I wanted to see end up with the Prince, I liked both Lenia and Margrethe. The ending was surprising and I think it wrapped everything up nicely.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mermaid.

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather I can't wait to hear what you think of this one, Anne! I came very close to buying it today when I was at Target. The only thing stopping me was that I haven't really heard much feedback on it. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts when you finish. I may end up buying it yet! :)

Aimee I am about halfway through now and so far I am liking it. I was very excited because I won it on a blog and the author signed it for me, my first signed book.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Very cool! I hope the story continues to be good. Enjoy! :)