Allison's Reviews > Sorta Like a Rock Star

Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read from August 11 to 12, 2012

I'll admit I had this book on my To-Read list based on the title alone (rock star obsession), and had no clue what it was about. Amber is a high school junior who lives in the yellow bus her mother drives for the school district. It seems like a bleak existence, but Amber prays nightly to "JC" and fills her life outside of school with charity work that makes her feel better about her life. Everyone calls her the Princess of Hope, because she raises their spirits by just being around. But when her life takes a horrible turn for the worst, she's not sure she can be herself anymore, much less carry everyone along with her.
     When I started reading, I wasn't even sure I'd finish this book. Amber overuses phrases like "sucka," "word," and "True? True." In my mind, that was the author trying to act like how he thought a teenage girl would, and it rang false. However, the story picked up and I couldn't put the book down until I finished it all. Amber remained a bit flat to me, which is strange since the book was told in first person. The secondary characters totally stole the show though, shining through and really making the whole book absolutely amazing. I won't like - I pretty much cried through the last third of the book, because it's so inspiring and powerful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorta Like a Rock Star.