Heather's Reviews > Other Words for Love

2098381
May 23, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, ya
Read in April, 2011

Other Words for Love is one of those rare treats filled with characters and situations that mirror everyday life yet maintain a certain compelling allure to readers in spite of the fact that they themselves have most likely experienced something similar in their own lives. Perhaps part of the appeal is due to the subject matter. As the title suggests, this is a story about love and all of the ways it can manifest, obscure itself, and be displayed. More intriguing, it’s about a girl finding her own path into adulthood as she steps up, strikes out, and dusts herself off to try again. Rosenthal has written a book that is not only inspiring, but transcending.

I was originally thrown when I began reading Other Words for Love as it is set in 1985. I immediately flipped to see if it was a re-print, but of course it wasn’t. I couldn’t understand why an author would write a dated book. But the story pulled me, and I decided to let it go and enjoy the ride. It wasn’t until I read the last page that I understood. Love, with all its joys, triumphs and failures defies time. That which plagued teenagers and adults alike in 1985 still stumps and tantalizes us in 2011. It’s a bit surreal to see that in spite of history, lessons in love can only be learned individually, and most usually in err.

What makes this book even more identifiable is its heroine, Ari, who you can’t help rooting for. She’s typical in nearly every way, fraught with insecurities, yet possessing a good head on her shoulders as well as a strong heart and fairly intuitive sense of self. Her struggles and daily life could have been easily mistaken for that of a current teenager. Again, I have to say I found this shocking. Spoken like a true youngin, huh?

So, if you have a hankerin (that’s southern for desire) to read a lovely understated novel that will take you back, and maybe even shine a spot light on some lessons you have forgotten or over looked, give this one a try.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other Words for Love.

message 1: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly Loved this review H! It's made me want to read this book so much! Sounds like a very insightful read!

Heather Thanks Milly. I was very pleased with this read and was shocked by how much I enjoyed it.

message 3: by maya_baby (new)

maya_baby hmmm I wonder if this would be a nice relaxing easy read for my foggy 36 wk pregnant brain..