Cascata Nerina's Reviews > Silver Bound

Silver Bound by Ella Drake

May 29, 11

Read from May 01 to 02, 2011, read count: Once

Silver Bound by Ella Drake has been sitting in my “To Be Read” (TBR) pile since I first started reading (and then doing) Six Sentence Sunday. A while ago she had a give it away free day, and I managed to snatch it up, but then it sat there in my TBR pile again.

Part of it was my own misperceptions. Based on the cover and the blurb ...

Sheriff Guy Trident doesn't have much to do with off-worlders; he has his hands full keeping his own planet safe. But he'll do anything, go anywhere to save Jewel Quinn. She broke his heart years ago when she left to marry a Terraloft aristocrat. Now she's run away from her husband, only to fall into the clutches of slavers.

Posing as a wealthy playboy, Guy arrives at Zuthuru Station to learn he's too late: Jewel's memories have been erased. She's been tipped in silver, a process that leaves nothing behind except her body, sexually bound to pleasuring her master. Unwilling to give up hope, Guy buys her.

Jewel fights to reclaim herself, recalling a different connection to the handsome sheriff, remembering the frightened eyes of a young boy and the events that made her run. Together she and Guy search for her cure, plan her son's rescue from her ruthless ex, and test if they have any kind of future...before the past catches up to them.

(Blurb via Carina Press)

… the book is obviously a Science Fiction Romance, probably with a good dose of erotica thrown in. For some reason I assumed it was completely a western, probably modern and thus not really up my alley and consequently under the category “I’ll get to it when I get to it.

Shouldn’t have done that.

It was really good.

The main plot was a little predictable, mostly because it was a romance story with a few elements of suspense thrown it. She did manage to twist me around a couple of times, but where she did the best with the plots was with her minor characters where she could play around more. I won’t give it away, but I will say to pay attention to them, they get up to some pretty interesting things.

The setting was something you rarely see in Sci-Fi Romance: a well done frontier society complete with farmers and ranchers all the way up to the space faring elite. Often in Sci-Fi in general people forget that even if they have auto-chefs and food/clothes/miscellaneous materializers, the material to be materialized has to come from somewhere. She actually wove both sides of the coin, not just the glitzy glamorous space faring side in, but the down to earth (or at least ground) people who keep the fancy society running. Wonderful.

Lastly her characters. The most well developed of Drake’s characters was Guy Trident, the hero. Normally in a romance it’s the heroine, but because of the heroine’s circumstances (having had her memory and personality wiped) you don’t get to see her all that much throughout the novel. So Guy steps up and takes center stage. &nbspThe juxtaposition was well done, as were the glimpses we got of Jewel fighting to find herself again.

It was a great story, full of fluff, but with a well built world (especially for anything falling into “Romance”) and I can’t wait for more from this author. Plus, I feel I can totally recommend it to anyone who reads romances.

If You Like X try Y:

Marilyn Campbell’s Innerworld Quartet is another Sci-Fi (heavy on the Science Fantasy) Romance series from much earlier in the genre. They may be a little harder to find, but if you can manage to pick one up (I’m still looking for the fourth) try it.

Also the Tales of the Shareem by Allyson James have a well built setting with a little more science in their Sci-Fi than fantasy. They also have a little more erotica to them.

I’m always looking for SF-R suggestions whether they lean towards science fantasy, science speculation, mystery, or erotica. Although SF-R crossed with horror just sounds wrong to me.

So if you have any suggestions I’d love to hear them.

Check out the original post on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Bound.