Lynai's Reviews > Monsters of Men

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Jul 28, 2012

bookshelves: own-a-copy
Read from December 03, 2011 to July 14, 2012

Sorry for the corny-ness, but: BOOM!!!

That was such a very powerful ending. Okay, let me gather my thoughts first and I'll get back to you.

***UPDATE!!!***

How do I begin to write my thoughts on a book as intense and powerful as Monsters of Men ? Honestly, I’ve been procrastinating writing a post about this book after I’ve read it a few weeks ago. It’s not that I don’t want to write about it. Monsters of Men is a book so powerful and amazing and intense and (insert appropriate superlative), it would be unfair if my blog won’t contain a post about it when I make it always a point to write about a book I have read.

The reason why I am dragging my feet on this one is because I feel that my thoughts are still in shambles that to attempt to write them down would be an epic failure on coherence and thus won’t give any justice at all to this one great ending of a very incredible trilogy. (Gah, it’s only two paragraphs and already I’m running out of adjectives.)

But I must do this now, or else I’ll lose my resolve altogether. And that would be such a disappointment, right?

Monsters of Men is the last instalment of Patrick Ness’s astounding Chaos Walking Trilogy. I read the first book, The Knife of Never Letting Go, in May last year, and the second book, The Ask and The Answer, seven months after. Aside from the fact that I have to wait for a few months before I have my own copy of the second book, the other and the main reason of the gaps in between reading the books, despite the cliff-hanger endings of each one, is because I felt that I have to take a breather first before proceeding to the next one. I just cannot take all the deaths and the plot twists that I must rest for awhile, recover my senses, and prepare myself for what other surprises Mr. Ness has in the succeeding books, otherwise I feel I will die from hyperventilation and heart attack!

It’s a good thing that I found reading buddies to read with for this book. Aside from the motivation, it’s always wonderful to share sentiments (and grief) about the unacceptable things that happened in the book with friends in my book club who share exactly the same musings. In a way, talking about the book while reading it eased the pain in my heart as well as the clutter in my mind.

Please continue reading.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters of Men.

Quotes Lynai Liked

Patrick Ness
“Choices may be unbelievably hard but they're never impossible. To say you have no choice is to release yourself from responsibility and that's not how a person with integrity acts.”
Patrick Ness, Monsters of Men

07/09/2012 page 8
1.0% "Re-reading the first chapters. Will definitely finish it this time. WAR."

Silverwolf Oh, please write a review when you have time!! I want to know what you thought of it :D!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynai Wait, are you done with the trilogy already??? I am preparing myself for a reading marathon Book 2 and this one. You know, that time when I can absolutely pull an all nighter? Haha. I just know I'll be losing sleep over these books! :D

Silverwolf Oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah!! I think you will: cause I sure did!! But to be honest, I read almost ALL of the time, so it's no surprises that I finished all three books within about week. :D Reading RULES!!!

Silverwolf But, yeah, I have to admit, these books were soooooooo good !!!(check out my review :D!!).

Silverwolf Oh, yeah, and I started a fan fiction page on the ending of Monsters of men: I would be obliged if you wanted to post the first entry :D

Lynai Silverwolf wrote: "Oh, yeah, and I started a fan fiction page on the ending of Monsters of men: I would be obliged if you wanted to post the first entry :D"

I think I should read all the books first before I post a comment there. T ;)

Silverwolf Sure! That's what I meant! :D

Silverwolf Gee... I've just noticed, I can't stop saying "yeah" in this thread. Weird.

Lynai Haha now that you mentioned it, yeah! :D

Silverwolf Maybe I should start saying "yup" instead. :D

message 13: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Haha I am so sloooow. :)) hahabol ako wait lang!

Maria Yay! Chaos Walking Trilogy!

Lynai Maria wrote: "Yay! Chaos Walking Trilogy!"

Yay indeed! :)

Silverwolf Haha yay!... ooohh, BTW, I read a monster calls at last. Unfortunately I underestimated Ness (again) and put it off for ages, but OMG, what a book!!

I cried. Did you cry?

Lynai Silverwolf wrote: "Haha yay!... ooohh, BTW, I read a monster calls at last. Unfortunately I underestimated Ness (again) and put it off for ages, but OMG, what a book!!

I cried. Did you cry?"

Yes I did!!! Lots of tears! Have you read the prequel of Chaos Walking? The New World?

Silverwolf Nope. Is it any good? (*what am I saying, of course it will be! I always underestimate his books*)

But is it AS GOOD AS chaos walking?

message 20: by Lynai (last edited Aug 02, 2012 12:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynai Silverwolf wrote: "Nope. Is it any good? (*what am I saying, of course it will be! I always underestimate his books*)

But is it AS GOOD AS chaos walking?"

Try to read it. It's only short (just a novella) and provides a background of Viola's life before she came to New World. It's free for download here in Goodreads. Check it out! ;)

Silverwolf OK, I'll try :)

BTW, have you read anything else that's good recently?

Lynai Silverwolf wrote: "OK, I'll try :)

BTW, have you read anything else that's good recently?"

What genre do you usually read? I'm currently reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower and so far I'm loving it. You might want to read it too if you haven't yet. :)

Silverwolf Well... I am a bit of a wallflower :D so, yeah, OK.

Ummm... I think I'm a YA fan - Mortal Engines, Tunnels, Chaos Walking etc...

Lynai Silverwolf wrote: "Well... I am a bit of a wallflower :D so, yeah, OK.

Ummm... I think I'm a YA fan - Mortal Engines, Tunnels, Chaos Walking etc..."

I finished Perks already. I think you will love it. Can't wait to watch the movie adaptation. :)

Silverwolf OK :)