Candice M (tinylibrarian)'s Reviews > Blood Work

Blood Work by Kim Harrison

May 09, 11

bookshelves: comics

Blood Work is author Kim Harrison's first graphic novel and is set in the world of her adult paranormal romance novels. Basically, it's a prequel of sorts which explains how two of the main characters from her books met. Sadly, I haven't read any of her adult novels so I have no background in terms of who the main characters are or their relationship.

The galley I received is in black and white, but from images posted on Kim Harrison's website (http://www.kimharrison.net/Hollows%20...), the final product is in color and the artwork and inking is nice. Initially when I read it I thought it was pretty awful, but in re-reading it, I thought it was just mediocre and cheesy. There's awkwardness in the pacing and dialogue, much of it due to lack of experience on Harrison's part in terms of writing for GNs and also lack of editing, I think. It seemed like there were certain plot points or explanations she wanted the GN to hit, but had trouble translating that to panels.

There were also elements that could be clearly explained in a novel but were very confusing to me in a graphic novel. For instance, when Ivy, the main character, is upset at one point, a being emerges from her to attack/strangle the person upsetting her. I didn't know if it was a ghost or a spell or...? In the artists' sketchbook in the end, there is a page that explains that the shadow is Ivy's aura, which emerges when Ivy loses control of her "vampiric instincts."

Overall, I think this might appeal to the fans of the adult romance novels, but it's really confusing as a stand-alone. It's disappointing because I have seen that translation work successfully, most notably with the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon, which is also adult paranormal romance, but does fine as YA manga.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Work.