International Cat Lady's Reviews > Burn

Burn by Nevada Barr

May 01, 11

Read in May, 2011

This is not your typical Nevada Barr / Anna Pigeon novel, although I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. It's gotten a bunch of terrible reviews both on Goodreads and Amazon, and I do understand where those reviewers are coming from: If what you enjoy about Barr's Anna Pigeon novels is the fact that the heroine is a National Park Ranger and every novel takes place in a different national park and brings with it details of life in each particular park... well, you'll be disappointed in Burn. It takes place in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Anna is on vacation (and unlike her vacation in Borderline, she's not taking it in a National Park), and - since she's still Anna Pigeon, after all - she stumbles upon a seamy-underbelly-of-NOLA mystery which she must solve. I loved it. My only complaint was that during the first half of the book there is a mystery about someone's identity which was SO obvious that I came to the conclusion that Barr wanted her readers to be aware of who this person was. Surely could've written that part of the tale in a less obvious way, so that it would've come as a surprise to the reader? Still, as that was my only complaint, it gets 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn.