Allison's Reviews > The Mission

May 23, 2011

did not like it
Recommended for: Members of LDS, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Read on May 23, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I would like it to be known that I received this book for free as part of the Goodreads Giveaway. However, I have no interest in giving false reviews and the following is my own opinion based solely on my reading experience.

The first thing that needs to be said of this book is that it is heavily religious; it assumes that the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are true and indisputable.

As a long time reader of science fiction, I have always enjoyed the genre for its' reliance on rational thought. Many authors of science fiction are skeptical about everything from social practices to religion to gender roles and more. That is not the case in "Worlds Without End" where Shaun F. Messick is not merely influenced by his religious beliefs, but bases the entire story on them.

I was sorely disappointed to find that this book was practically the Mormon version of Tim LaHaye's "Left Behind" series when there was NO indication anywhere in the Goodreads Giveaway information that it was largely religious. I, however, gave it a good chance as I feel that would be fair to the author and his personal beliefs. Being a rational reader, I attempted to read the story like any other science fiction book and pretend that the beliefs and practices in the story were new to me... simply a construction of the author's imagination. However, Messick is obviously so entrenched in his belief system that he assumes too much. Mormon ideals and practices are on every page, alienating an unbiased reader. As a previous reviewer wrote: this book would be best for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I do not want to be detrimental to Messick's sales. I only wish Messick had gone to the trouble to make his intentions more clear in his book description. He should be honest enough with himself to know where his audience lies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mission.