Teresa's Reviews > Blankets

Blankets by Craig Thompson

May 02, 11

Recommended to Teresa by: Nick Kives, rhea mac
Read in May, 2011

I was set to give this 3 stars, but then the final chapter, especially the last few pages (which satisfied my writing heart) turned it into a 4 for me. Early on, while reading, I was reminded of Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, and I was craving some of that book's humor (even if it is dark), which there is really none of here, until the lightness near the end that had me smiling. The illustrations are well-done in advancing the story, but I wondered while reading if the book, though a very quick read, could've been a bit shorter without losing any of its effectiveness. (Don't try to read it in bed -- it'll hurt your arm.) All in all, though, I enjoyed this journey of an artistic, serious young person who, as a child and teenager, wants absolutes in every aspect of his world but then learns that ambiguity is actually much more satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blankets.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

rhea I agree with a lot you said, especially the reading it in bed part (ha)! I never actually got around to reviewing it, but in the end I was between a 3 & a 4. Such pretentiousness, eh? ;)

Teresa rhea wrote: "I agree with a lot you said, especially the reading it in bed part (ha)! I never actually got around to reviewing it, but in the end I was between a 3 & a 4. Such pretentiousness, eh? ;)"

Yeah, I might have given it a 3.5 if that was a choice, but I was learning toward a 4 anyway.

Yeah, really, that 'boy.' ;)

message 3: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Yay! I bought a copy of this book as a birthday present for a friend with a condition that he would lend this to me. You just reminded me to follow him up! Quite pricey so I can demand to him ha ha.

That's me. I am a clever gift giver :)

Teresa K.D. wrote: "That's me. I am a clever gift giver :)"

You are a very smart man, K.D.! :)