mari's Reviews > Gone With a Handsomer Man

Gone With a Handsomer Man by Michael Lee West

May 04, 2011

bookshelves: fiction
Read from May 01 to 04, 2011

he novel begins whenTeeny comes home to find her fiance, Bing, playing naked badminton with two "ladies" in their backyard. She takes to a tree and pelts them all with peaches which gets her in trouble with the law and makes her the prime suspect when he ends up dead not too long after.

Gone with a Handsomer Man starts with a bang and never lets up. It had me laughing and reading to the very end. I was eager to figure out the mystery of who killed Bing and I wanted to read more and more about the yummy Southern food.

This book had me craving some down home comfort food like chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, homemade pies. It seemed like every page had some new food described in detail and it made my tummy rumble. Luckily in the back of the book...recipes.

There are times when a recipe is given during the narrative that reminded me a lot of the movie Waitress. Any of you seen it? She describes making the pies for different reasons-jealousy, revenge, etc. I started picturing Keri Russell as Teeny saying these voice overs,

"I imagined shooting the women with a paint gun. No that wasn't mean enough. I wouldn't feel satisfied until I force-fed them Good Riddance Blueberry Pie." pg 71
Add 2 1/2 cups of berries, along with 3 tablespoons of melted blueberry jelly and a dollop of Havoc-a blue, granular rat poison with a rodent-alluring flavor." pg 71

Michael Lee West has assembled a truly great cast of characters and infused this book with lots of Southern charm. The humor is a bit raunch, which may offend some, but I found it hilarious. Such a fun read. Can't wait to read more by West.

Gone With a Handsomer Man was released in hardcover on April 12th.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone With a Handsomer Man.

05/01/2011 page 62
18.0% "I am reading an actual book and loving it. It's also making me hungry for chicken fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Good thing I'll be in Austin later this week."
show 2 hidden updates…