Jessica's Reviews > Begging for Change

Begging for Change by Sharon G. Flake

May 01, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-and-kids
Read on November 01, 2004

I started reading this almost accidentally, in that my job was producing an audio version of the book, and I was browsing through it looking for unusual names and instances of Korean so that I could make a pronunciation chart for it. I got a little wrapped up in it and ended up taking it home with me to read. It's actually the sequel to another book, Money Hungry, but it held up well on its own. It's the story of a girl named Raspberry Hill who lives with her mother on minimal income and who tries to avoid her homeless, drug-addled, money-stealing father. It's written in black English vernacular although I'm pretty sure Raspberry is meant to be white - the cast of characters is very multicultural, and one of the themes in the book has to do with coming to respect one's cultural heritage no matter what it is (one of the characters is half-black, half-Korean, and deals with a lot of teasing over not looking like anyone else in the school). The book deals with forgiveness and "making it" and learning to love oneself, and it's a pretty sweet, easy read. Nothing to drop everything and track down, but if it ends up in your hands, it's a cute afternoon's read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Begging for Change.