Jessica's Reviews > Where Girls Come First

Where Girls Come First by Ilana DeBare

May 01, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read from July 19 to 23, 2004

I can't remember where I read a review or article about Where Girls Come First: The Rise, Fall, and Surprising Revival of Girls' Schools, but it sounded interesting enough that I added it to my library list. It's a history of girls' schools in the U.S., intermingled with the story of the author's own experience founding an all-girls school in California.

While the book does go into theories of difference between sexes (providing some fascinating insights and trivia) and some of the process of planning a school, it was much more history-heavy than I expected. The stories about girls' schools in the 1800s and the history of Catholic schools in this country were interesting, but didn't leave me with much to take away, and I looked eagerly for the sections about the author's experiences starting a school, and the sections about psychology and theory of gender and education.

I did find myself getting minorly bogged down or frustrated with certain sections of the book, but on the whole it was an engaging read, leaving me interested in studying up on several other topics. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to very many people, but it was a good jumping-off point for me to direct me toward other areas that I would probably enjoy researching.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Girls Come First.