Sarah (saz101)'s Reviews > Wilder's Mate

Wilder's Mate by Moira Rogers

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: steampunk, vampires, werewolves, romance, paranormal-romance, western-and-cowboys, novella
Read from May 01 to 03, 2011

I read 'Wilder's Mate' after seeing it on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books 'Sizzling Book Club Pick' list.

Hmmm... it's fun, and a bit of a mixed bag. A VERY mixed bag: Western/Romance/Steampunk/Paranormal. Mixed enough for ya'll?

It's very readable, with a few very steamy scenes sewn together with a decent, interesting, but very linear plot. It's never boring, but I had to make myself suspend my disbelief at the speed with which the two romantic leads fall for each other... it feels like more than just attraction, and a bit more than just 'need' (a major theme in the story's mythos), without any reason for an emotional connection at first. The two don't have a shared backstory to put it down to (though they do have a few shared friends/mentors)--they've never even met before--and are irrestibly drawn to one another after a few hours, despite Wilder's fight to stay uninvolved. I just didn't understand why they were so drawn to each other, other than a strong physical attraction. I suppose I could just pin it down to an instant connection between a couple of very horny people. It happens, and I think I'm reading too much into it.

Satira is interesting mix of damsel-in-distress as well as kickass science-lovin' babe. She has a strong mind, and isn't afraid to get her hands dirty, fight, or stand her ground, but she's not a fighter, and depends on Wilder to defend her. While she's willing to go out and put herself on the line, she's thrown into a hopeless situation. Wilder is a tortured mix between wild man, and wild beast, and needs Satira's tender touch to soften his heart. Don't get me wrong: I REALLY enjoyed the book, but it was a little predictable.

It's a very fun read, and delivers what it promises: action, gunslingin' and a steamy romance between two smokin' hot leads.

(And seriously, I need to stop readin' this kind of stuff. I'm forgettin' to use 'G's!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilder's Mate.

05/02/2011