Lauraadriana's Reviews > Baking Cakes in Kigali

Baking Cakes in Kigali by Gaile Parkin

May 02, 11

bookshelves: f2f-book-club, africa-themed-book
Read from May 01 to 02, 2011

This book was a face to face book club pick...I live in Africa and so we usually pick Africa themed books...this was a special book. The main character Angel very slightly reminded me of Precious Ramotswe, but this book dealt with a lot heavier things.

Angel is a Tanzanian living in Kigali, in a Rwanda on it's way out of the aftermath of the genocide this is swirling around in the background as she goes about her life, she's a baker how bakes cakes for the community (something I do too so loved that) and she is also that lady who everyone come to with news, searching for advice or just to hear what's happening...this books portrays life in Africa very well and it is not overly romanticized either which happens often with books like this.

The subject of the genocide is broached very well...something that stayed with me was Pius and Angel talking about how they said 'never again' after the Holocaust and yet there they were...How easy we forget and how easy we descend in madness like what happened in Rwanda...It's a lovely book, I would recommend.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baking Cakes in Kigali.