Cinnamon's Reviews > Lolita

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: 2012, 5-superb, classics, historical-fiction
Read from August 09 to 13, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lolita.

Quotes Cinnamon Liked

Vladimir Nabokov
“Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.”
Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nafiza This disturbed the heck out of me but it was still so good! It messed with my mind! :\

Cinnamon Yeah! I kept finding myself feeling sorry for evil HumHum. Tricky, tricky Nabokov ._.

And the writing. Bah, I want to eat it.

Nafiza Tell me about it. Most of the times I was swooning about the writing and then along comes the whole...HE'S A PEDOPHILE thing cracking in my head. Hum is a very engaging character who is rather difficult to vilify since he makes everything sound so reasonable from his perspective.

Cinnamon Mmhm. I can't believe he managed to make pedophilia "justifiable" both for Hum and the reader (to some extent).