Sarah's Reviews > Zero History

Zero History by William Gibson

May 01, 11

Read in May, 2011

WG carries the momentum of Spook Country with the majority of SC's cast of characters, as well as a few players from Pattern Recognition set. Because of that carry-over, there is a tangible payoff for having read the first of the three as it is required to solve a chunk of the mystery, but still good either way.

I absolutely fell in love with Milgrim on this go-round. Gibson has this minimalist - yet eloquent - way of rendering details that makes him (M) both innocent and appropriately worldly as he becomes the fulcrum of action which I would not have predicted at the outset. He is somewhat unable to anticipate his own behavior, so part of the fun is in following Milgrim as he unearths his post-addictive self in the face of danger, and how he interacts with Hubertus Bigend and the band of crazy that tends to follow him.

One thing - as with Gibson's other books in this set, the climb is slow with the climax not quite matching the build up; but the conclusion wraps up nicely enough if a) you don't take the last chapter to heart and b) you believe that Gibson is really done with Bigend.

I remain unconvinced on that last point, but I guess we'll see :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero History.