Sarah's Reviews > On Chesil Beach

May 01, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: 2009
Read in September, 2009

Just finished the first chapter of this novel and am not really enjoying it. Not enough conversation and an omniscient narrator who doesn't know the correct use of nauseous/ nauseating bugs me. I remember reading 'Black Dog' and perhaps one other McEwan novel many years ago and deciding I didn't like the author. Since then he has won much acclaim for novels such as "Saturday', 'Amsterdam' and 'Dead Air' and I have listened to reviews and thought perhaps one day I will get round to reading them.

As this is a short book, I will persevere and hope that my personal connection to the area around Weymouth keeps me interested in the story. We'll see.

So I persevered and it wasn't that bad. Not fantastic, but not dreadful, either. Have discussed McEwan with folk over the weekend and the main consensus is that his books are hit and miss, and that 'On Chesil Beach' is one of the better ones. Have decided to donate my remaining McEwans to a charity shop or otherwise get rid, and move on. So many authors, so little shelving space.

Glad I was born when I was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Chesil Beach.