Sarah's Reviews > The End of Mr. Y

The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: 2010, great-reads
Read in June, 2009

I'd read a wee article in a newspaper about Scarlett Thomas and thought she was worth a try. The library only had 'The End of Mr Y', and I have to admit I devoured it. Many other reviewers seem very disappointed with the ending in particular, and the second half of the book in general. I can't say that I agree. I loved it from beginning to end.

I enjoyed the intellectual ideas, the foibles and background of the heroine, her pure relationship with Adam and the creation of the MindSpace.

Apollo Smintheus was a surprise and added a vibrant, playful element to the story. I felt so sorry for the labmice when Ariel was hopping through their consciousnesses - especially the mice who were being juggled.

A well-crafted, complex story, with interesting characters and a no-nonsense tone. Reminiscent of Pullman, in some ways, although I think End of Mr Y is more like a grown-up version of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. (Although that might just be because I was listening to a radio progamme about Neanderthals recently!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Mr. Y.