Tricia's Reviews > Broken

liked it
Read in May, 2010

Broken
(possible spoilers below)

This is the 7th in the Grant County series, even though Undone (first in the Georgia series) featured Sarah, it is the first in the Georgia series.
I have read all of Karin Slaughter's books, and she is one of my top five favorite authors. Her books are intense thrill rides, usually with some blood and violence, but always great writing, plot, and in-depth characters. I consider her books a staple in my library.
Broken starts off with a young girl's death, initially considered a suicide, but quickly turned homicide. Lena Adams is the responding officer called to the scene. Lena has a lot of history and is a complex character that elicits emotion, and a great storyline.
Sara Linton is back in town and involves herself in the case. She was married to Jeffery, the former police chief of their idyllic little town. Sara is a pediatric doctor now working in Atlanta in the ER, visiting for the Thanksgiving holiday with Tessa, her younger sister.
Sara doesn't like how things are going with this case so she makes a call and Will Trent, GBI agent, becomes involved to find out what is going on. Will is a character seen in three past novels.
This time around, the friction within the police force with Interim Chief Wallace is prominent and adds to the story of the crimes committed.
As usual, Slaughter's writing is terrific; she never misses a beat the storyline flows with no bumps along the way. I can always depend on her to take me on a ride that entertains and keeps me guessing.
As usual I really look forward to Karin Slaughter's next novel whether it's about the happenings of Grant county or anywhere.

However, there is one thing I didn't get and maybe someone can comment and enlighten me.
The capsules found in Tommy's medicine cabinet were clearly marked "Tommy do not take any of these" So, why do Sarah and Will start talking about him being involved in the trial and that how they could have contributed to his decision to kill himself?

I was a little disappointed in Lena leaving, moving on to a different place, still being a cop. Will Slaughter still keep writing about Lena? I really hope so cause there is so much potential there. Lena is probably my favorite character because to me she is misunderstood and has the best intentions, but she is easily swayed to do the wrong thing because she is doubting herself. I think with this book though, Slaughter could easily turn this around to be her turning point even though one would have thought that after Jeffery's death that would have happened already.
Sarah, for some reason, grates on my nerves. Is it because she is a strong woman but she doesn't know it, or doesn't act it? I am not sure but I do know that Tessa calling her Sissy was driving me crazy!
Tessa is an interesting character and I wish we'd see more of her. I have to say Grant county has had some major changes and I can't imagine there is much left to write about. I guess it will end up being the Will Trent (Georgia series) from now on. Either way, I love Slaughter's writing and I plan on reading whatever she puts out wherever that reading adventure takes me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.