Ilsa Bick's Reviews > Out of My Mind

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

May 01, 2011

My librarian recommended this little gem. 11-yo Melody is one of those very brainy kids who’d probably have a hard time fitting in under the best of circumstances. Now, throw in that she has cerebral palsy, is confined to a wheelchair, has limited body control (her thumb, principally), is mute and unable to let people know just exactly how smart she is (even the docs think she’s profoundly retarded)–and you might have had the recipe for a treacly affliction-of-the-week narrative. Wrong-o. When Melody’s family outfits her with a computer and the girl begins to peck out her thoughts, a thumb-stroke at a time, then the book takes off, with some unexpected, highly believable turns on the way. Because Melody is REALLY smart–smart enough to be transitioned out of special ed and mainstreamed; smart enough to make her school’s quiz team; smart enough to go with her team to a national competition–and not yet smart enough to understand that people can mouth all the right words and still break your heart. I won’t give away the rest of this book, but this is a fast, immensely entertaining read that is, in its way, as brutal and unflinching as . . . well, real life. Give it a go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of My Mind.