Annmarie's Reviews > Dolci di Love

Dolci di Love by Sarah-Kate Lynch

1964916
May 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, feel-good, italy, travel, families, summer-read
Read in April, 2011

Engaging, light fiction that would be a great vacation read. It's about a CEO business woman in her mid 40s who finds a photo in her husband's golf shoe that makes it clear he has a whole other family in Italy. She is devastated - especially since she desperately wants but can't have kids - gets drunk, buys a ticket to Italy and travels to the beautiful, quiet little Tuscan town to confront him. Oh, bella Italy! Made me want to travel back there. There, before finding him, she accidentally meets his scruffy little girl, and the other woman, and it becomes clear that things are more complicated than she thought.

Meanwhile there's a dual storyline about a hilarious and delightful secret cabal of cranky elderly Italian widows in the town who have made it their business to act as a stealth matchmaker society that helps the broken hearted. I loved them. They have their sights on our heroine and a handsome local, Alessandro. A tiny biscotti bakery run by two of the widows also features. The ending was kind of clumsy, although I certainly don't mind happy endings, even unrealistic ones. I think the usually harsh but funny Kirkus Reviews says it best: "An atypical, sometimes awkward (see the title) version of chick lit which cheerily proposes that two wrongs can make a right." I did really enjoy the book, though!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dolci di Love.