Cathy's Reviews > A Courtesan's Guide to Getting Your Man

A Courtesan's Guide to Getting Your Man by Celeste Bradley

May 06, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads, giveaways
Read from May 04 to 06, 2011

THIS MAY CONTAIN A LITTLE SPOILER.
I loved this book, which is actually written by Susan Donovan and Celeste Bradley. Donovan writes contemporary fiction and Bradley writes historical romance. So, how did these two get together to write a book? Intersecting lives - both theirs and their characters. (Present day:) Piper, 30, museum curator who is nerdy and obliviously beautiful, must mount an exhibit on (Historical) Ophelia Harrington, born in London @ 1795 and later became an abolitionist and bulwark of mid-1800s Boston.
Problem: Piper must succeed with this exhibit or risk losing her job since her last exhibit bombed. But what in Ophelia's life can be the cornerstone of the exhibit? Sex, of course, in the form of journals found in a hidden compartment of Ophelia's trunk. From the explicit journals we learn that Ophelia wasn't too happy with her life and put herself under the tutelage of a famous courtesan and the masked man her mentor chose to initiate her.
That initiation took place over the course of seven nights (and 45 pages) with a few small breaks so Ophelia could have tea with her totally-in-the-dark aunt. I admit I learned 2 new things in those 45 pages, only one of which I will mention. The "C" word for a part of a woman's body used to have an "e" on the end. I don't know if the "e" was silent but Ophelia's "O"s certainly weren't.
As steamy as this section was I wished Ophelia would learn quickly because I was interested in the story of how she ended up in Boston society. And I wanted to read Piper's chapters to see how she was coping with the unexpected arrival of a very hot Irish archaeologist with a great ass (according to Piper and her BFF).
Skipping between past and present the authors keeps the story moving right along to a wonderful conclusion for both women.
There are explicit sex scenes and dirty words but, when you get past the pages mentioned above it wasn't overwhelming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Courtesan's Guide to Getting Your Man.