Michael's Reviews > The Case for Easter: A Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection

The Case for Easter by Lee Strobel

M 50x66
May 01, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: history

Someone was kind enough to give me this as a gift, which I appreciate.

But, I can't say I found it at all persuasive. Someone said that this book is just an excerpt of The Case for Christ. I had previously read that book, but long enough ago that I didn't remember the specifics. I did remember the inane approach though.

Strobel's "skeptic" approach is to take the gospels as extremely accurate documents, and use them to provide justification for their own stories. Obviously in this book he's talking about the death and resurrection of Jesus. He accepts the gospel stories at face value, but then answers tiny little possible objections: for instance, what about the possibility that Jesus didn't actually die on the cross, so when he was buried and "rose again" he hadn't actually been resurrected.

Well, as any skeptic's real response would be, what about the possibility that the gospels are a little more detached from reality than Strobel thinks?

The strangest line of reasoning in this book comes at an objection that goes like this: No matter how implausible any other explanations for what happened may be, they've got to be more likely than that Jesus was raised from the dead, right? The answer: Granting that God exists, it's not implausible that he raised Jesus from the dead (after all, God can do anything).

!!!! An obvious problem with Strobel's approach is very well illustrated here: You can apply the same kind of reasoning to justify _anything_. I mean, if something that seems unlikely isn't really because, hey, God exists, then there's no point in trying to think about likelihood or implausibility at all, because nothing's implausible.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case for Easter.

01/24 marked as: read