Kathleen Hagen's Reviews > The Ice Princess

F_50x66
May 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011-audio-books, 2011-mysteries
Read in April, 2011

The Ice Princess, by Camilla Lackberg, b-plus, narrated by David Thorn, Produced by Highbridge Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

Erica Falck, a writer with four biographies under her belt and working on a fifth one, returns to her small town in Sweden to pack up the house after her parents were killed in an accident. While taking a walk one day, an elderly man calls out to her for help and says someone is dead in a nearby house. She goes into the house and finds her former childhood best friend, Alexandra, dead in the tub with her wrists cut. The furnace has been off for at least a week and the water in the tub has become ice. She is frozen into this ice and looks like an ice princess, Erica thinks. The police are called in, and she meets Inspector Patrik Hedstrom. They are attracted to each other and also find they can share and combine information to find Alex’s killer. It appears that there may be a strong connection to Alex’s youth. She and Erica suddenly weren’t friends at the age of ten when Alex suddenly became remote and didn’t seem interested in Erica anymore. Erica sees this as her opportunity to clear up the mystery about Alex, deal with her own remaining deep hurt, and write a true crime story involving the tragedy surrounding Alex, the beginning of what she hopes is a new career. The book is riveting with not as much time spent on love-making as Norah Roberts and Sandra Brown do, but perhaps more than is my particular taste. I liked the characters though, and I thought it was written well. I had one consistent thorn in the side with this book. The event which changes Alex’s life happened when she was ten years old. They kept saying she was ten years old and in the 8th grade. I don’t know if they count grades differently in Sweden, or if this was a misprint, or if Alex was supposed to be gifted. But I kep running up against a ten-year-old in eighth grade as an irritant. I actually liked this book enough, though, to read another one when they get published here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Princess.