Maureen's Reviews > Elijah of Buxton

Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis

May 01, 2011

liked it
Read in April, 2011

Elijah Freeman is the first free-born child in the settlement of Buxton, Canada. He had never understood what slavery really was, or the suffering that his parents and other adults in the settlement went through, in order to be free. Mr. Leroy, who Elijah admires and trusts, has been saving money for a long time, so he can free his wife and children, who are still living in the States. But once he finally has enough to buy his family from slavery, a thief steals all of his money. Elijah accompanies Mr. Leroy in a hunt to get it back, leaving Canada and crossing into the dangers of America. During this experience, Elijah finds that his life in Buxton is the dream of most African-Americans living in slavery, and realizes what he has been taking for granted all along.

I thought this book was alright- but it was somewhat predictable, and not very exciting. Also, I felt that the author took a long in getting to the climax. All in all, it's an okay read, but nothing exciting. I could think of a lot of more interesting books, in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elijah of Buxton.