Tara Talley's Reviews > Slash

Slash by Slash

May 06, 11

Read from May 01 to 06, 2011

I read this in about three days. I seriously couldn't put it down. I expected him to talk a lot more about Axl, but it turns out Axl didn't party very much with the rest of the band. Aside from being late all the damn time to rehearsals and shows, there apparently isn't all that much of interest to say about Axl. That's okay, though. PLENTY of old-school metal craziness to read about, anyway. :D

I've always been a fan of Guns n Roses, and of Slash himself, but as cliche as it sounds, I respect him a lot more now. Particularly the way he kicked drugs (most especially Mr. Brownstone himself) on his own, without ever finishing any sort of rehab program. I've also been listening to the Velvet Revolver albums a lot more since reading this.

This was an excellent autobiography. Well-written, full of great stories, and enough of the interesting details about life in the rock music business without getting too bogged down in the business details. I loved reading about his childhood and his parents. I had no idea he'd known so many REALLY famous musicians as a kid. I also love hearing the stories behind songs I love, so reading about how G n' R songs came to be was pretty sweet.

The one downside is that it reminded me of seeing AC/DC with my mom about 13 years ago. Slash's Snakepit was supposed to open, but didn't make it for some reason, and we got some crappy, forgettable band instead. I really wish I could have heard him play live. Well, who knows. He's not dead yet, after all, ha ha. No chance in hell of a proper G n' R reunion, but I may just get another chance yet. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slash.