Rachel's Reviews > Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: classics-project, read-2011, africa
Read from May 31 to June 01, 2011

I feel guilty giving this only three stars. It's obviously well-written and a masterpiece etc. However, I just didn't know what was going on much of time. Like I said in a status update, I would have been totally lost if I hadn't read King Leopold's Ghost (which is an amazing book, by the way). It's not just that the story isn't very long, it's also that Conrad writes with a Victorian politeness that keeps him away from specifics. This affects basic background information (I don't think the words "Belgium" or "Belgian" appear, ever) and the atrocities which we need to guess that Kurtz committed. I feel like I would have gotten more out of it if I'd read it in a classroom setting, or just from an edition with footnotes and/or a scholarly introduction and/or a study guide. I guess that's my recommendation for everyone else: read Heart of Darkness, but don't read the Dover Thrift Edition of it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Darkness.

05/31/2011 page 18
23.0% "Very promising so far. I'd be totally lost if I hadn't read King Leopold's Ghost, though."