Karen B's Reviews > The Little Bride

The Little Bride by Anna Solomon

May 24, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from May 21 to 24, 2011

The Little Bride focuses on outcasts and what it must be like to voluntarily remove oneself from all that is familiar. This debut novel brings the reader into a world of isolation and hardship as seen through the eyes of several austere and solemn characters. Ms Soloman has a way with words, drawing the reader into Minna’s world and holding us hostage as we experience her hardships and pain.
From the very first chapter we feel Minna’s anxiety, her discomfort and even her shame while she is stripped, prodded and made to feel inconsequential during a physical and mental evaluation to become a mail order bride. Through that chapter we come to see Minna’s inner strength, a fortitude that carries her and the reader through the remainder of the book, anticipating how she will react to the difficult circumstances in which she finds herself.
Being concise, Ms Soloman misses a few opportunities to make this a more historical novel. However, her strong characters and story line compensate for this by making believable the ordeals people had to go through to endure the harsh environment, limited resources and difficult circumstances of the 1880s.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Bride.