Liralen's Reviews > Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice

Life, In Spite of Me by Kristen Jane Anderson

Sep 16, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: nonfiction, z-2011, reviewed, religion, ya, take-back-the-night

I have a tremendous amount of respect for what the author went through. I imagine that it took an incredible amount of courage to tell her story, not to mention simply persevering in the things she wanted to do.

The book falls apart for me, though, about halfway through. I knew before I read the book that there was a religious message involved; I'm not bothered by that (although I did not particularly appreciate the attempt to convert readers). I wish, though, that she had gone more in depth into the process of dealing with the issues that led her to the train tracks in the first place. There's a fair amount of explanation of what was wrong in the first place, but no real progress past those things save for that God saved her life.

It's memoir, not fiction -- so maybe faith was her only answer here. It would have been nice to see that addressed, though.

I rather suspect that the author had a difficult time writing this -- with good reason if that's the case, of course, as it must have been difficult to revisit everything -- and, consequently, a lot of her voice is lost. It's fairly flat in places, and while I can understand having a difficult time revisiting all of the rough events in her life, the tone doesn't always make for an interesting read. It is a quick read, though, and I'd bet that she's a good speaker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, In Spite of Me.