Kirsty's Reviews > Inklings

Inklings by Aparna Warrier

Jun 24, 11

bookshelves: arc-review-copy, fiction, short-stories, ebook
Read on May 21, 2011

It's very difficult to post a review for a book that comprises of 9 pages and comprises of flash fiction - very short, short stories - however I'm going to do my best! I was intrigued by the concept of flash fiction when the author contacted me. I'd never heard of it but, as a lover of short stories, it sounded both interesting and fun and so I agreed to read and review it.

If I'm honest, I had to read all of the stories through twice before I understood them, which wasn't a problem as they were obviously very short! Maybe this is because I'm not used to such short stories and trying to find the meaning behind them. I don't consider myself particularly analytical but I knew that I would have to be if I wanted to get the most out of the stories. Initially after reading the stories once, I found that they were fun, quirky and creative. In particular, I loved the creativity of The Revolt of the Coconut Trees. Once I'd read the stories again I saw that they were insightful and, in many cases, there was much more to them than I'd originally thought. Many of them left me wanting to know more. I'm undecided whether this is a good thing or not, as I tend to think that short stories should be complete in themselve. I suppose it depends on what the author is trying to acheive. If the author decides to expand on the stories in the future then I would definitely be interested in reading them.

Overall, this was a fun, quick read and it made a welcome change in between heavier reading. I would recommend it to people who want to try something different or are just looking for a fun read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inklings.

100.0% "Review to follow"