Trekscribbler's Reviews > Star Wars Tales, Vol. 3

Star Wars Tales, Vol. 3 by Dave Land

May 01, 11

Read in October, 2006

It's really unfair -- in many respects -- to call these 'tales.' Most of these stories -- spanning across all possible timeframes of the Star Wars universe -- are little vignettes: the 224-page collection clocks in somewhere between 20-25 separate stories, so they're not in-depth character pieces ... but they're truly thrilling reads!

I picked this one up from the local comic book shop essentially on the recommendation of the other reviews 'round Amazon and some of the other boards I frequent. I understood that this was a collection from the popular 'Star Wars Tales' comic book, and, prefering to collect trade paperbacks for the simple fact that I get through it easier in one or two sittings than I do individual issues any more, I was a bit suspicious. However, these wonderful vignettes are incredibly relevant to what's already been established in the universe. Sure, the Vader/Maul face-off was pretty solid, but I was strongly impressed by some of the smaller works: C3PO comes to grips with aftermath of flushing R2's memory banks; "The Princess Leia Diaries" may not seem like a great idea but it ends up being a uniquely inspired look at the young rebel's grooming to lead a rebellion; even an early possible encounter between Darth Vader and Boba Fett pose some tremendous 'what if' possibilities for the Star Wars universe.

Sure, as some of the tales go by too quickly, it's hard to get a great investment in story, but some of these yarns really weren't meant to. They're quick, and, for the most part, they feel very faithful to the source material. Dark Horse is be highly commended, and I'll definitely be picking up another volume simply on the strength of this release.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Wars Tales, Vol. 3.