Ed's Reviews > The Hand of Oberon

May 03, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read from May 01 to 02, 2011

At this point I'm pretty much done with this series. For the sake of closure I'm going to finish Book 5, but really I don't understand why this is seen as such a Fantasy classic. The narrative mainly consists of various fairly interchangeable characters explaining the plot to each other, followed by a dull description of yet another 'hellride' between parallel worlds. It isn't clear what anyone's motivations are or what precisely is at stake (I suspect probably because the author himself doesn't really know). I have read four books of this now and I still don't have a clue as to why any of these immortal fops actually care what happens to Amber. Considering Zelazny has infinite scope to explore whatever worlds he likes given the premise, he really doesn't take the characters anywhere interesting or do anything novel whatsoever.

It is a massive disappointment after Zelazny's early works such as Lord of Light and This Immortal, which at least hinted at something special. It seems like instead he went wholly the other way into lazy pulp writing. There is nothing wrong in my book with pulp adventure, provided it is done well, but this series entirely lacks the wit or sparkle of fellow pulp genre writers like Moorcock, Vance or PKD.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hand of Oberon.

07/01 marked as: read