Trisha's Reviews > Five Flavors of Dumb

Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John

Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: family-drama, romance, young-adult
Read in October, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This was a really fun read, and I really loved the character of Piper. Because I'm a musician and a total lover of rock stars, this was a book somewhat after my own heart. I love the band Dumb, even when arrogant bastard Josh was still a part of it. I love how Kallie comes into her own, and turns out to be an amazingly passionate (and Nirvana-esque) singer. I love the references to Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix. They've made me want to read those two biographies, even if they'll be sad for sure. I also loved the 'homage to Seattle grunge', and rock music in general, that was most of this book.

It was cool how dorky (but cute) Ed was able to come into his own as a rock star. I loved the scene where Piper was playing on stage without her guitar being plugged in - but she ROCKED anyway. Loved the part where she got her hair dyed. hehe.

Sometimes I felt like I was being set up for a particular moment with the family - the comments Piper's parents made seemed too conveniently mean/rude, somehow. I don't really know how to describe it, but I just got that feeling occasionally. Still, that's really the biggest complaint I have. And it's not much of one at all I guess!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Flavors of Dumb.