tonya.'s Reviews > Angel Burn

May 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, arcs, meh, paranormal, ya
Read from May 01 to 11, 2011

I give Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly 3 out of 5 stars.

Angel Burn started strong for me; I loved the concept of angels as malevolent parasites, infiltrating earth to feed from humans. It is an interesting and unique take on angel lore, and Weatherly's world building was very well done.

Willow was an interesting and complex character. Her psychic ability was not overdone or cliched, and presented in a unique light. Her true nature, while predictable, gave an interesting spin to the angel genre. I love that she was never relegated to the role of the cowering simpering female; she embodied strength and conviction throughout the story and was a very engaging character.

Likewise, Alex's character, a young--and presumably the only--Angel Killer (those with the sight and the training capable to kill angels) was just enough Bad Boy With a Dark and Painful Past to make him intriguing without being cliche.

However, the romantic aspect detracted from the storyline for me. Though I liked that their burgeoning connection, the tone of the novel shifted once they became a couple. The romantic dialogue felt flat and awkward, and nearly always pulled me out of the scene. I was never again fully invested in the story line, which was a shame as I do think from an objective standpoint it was quite good.

I am looking forward to the next book in the series, with the hope that I find the relationship between Alex and Willow less trite and more genuine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Burn.

05/03/2011
12.0% "I've never read anything where the angels are the bad guys. #cool"
05/08/2011
79.0% "I'm really loving this concept, but Willow's and Alex's relationship is making me cringe. The 'lovey' dialogue is so, so trite."
show 2 hidden updates…