Tiara's Reviews > The Child Thief

The Child Thief by Brom

Jan 19, 13

bookshelves: imaginative-retelling, horror, fantasy, dark-fantasy, urban-fantasy, paranormal, favorites, warning-triggers
Read from April 30 to May 15, 2011

Spoilers.

While I think from just reading the summary, most people know they are not walking into a completely black and white, good vs evil, story. You know that it will be somewhere in between, that there is a lot of gray area in this story. And boy was it ever.

Brom took this fairytale and crafted such a complex, dark story of two sides who essentially want the same thing, but both going about their own misguided way of doing it, doing what they feel they need to do to survive and win. And while Peter's side is arguably the right side, the other side led by The Captain (and "led" is used loosely here because the Captain actually came to be a likable, competent character who is helpless against greater forces at work) isn't as simple and as evil as you'd think they'd be.

Wonderful book. I expected a very dark tale, but I didn't expect to get so emotionally invested in the story of Peter, his Devils (the Lost Boys), Avalon (Neverland), or the flesh-eaters (the Captain and his crew). I shed more than a few tears and laughs with this book. Brom weaved such a wonderful world to explore. I wished the story would've gone and followed them more after their big battle, but then again, I'm glad Brom allowed my imagination to decide what happens next.

Easily a favorite. And Brom's illustrations were breathtaking. I loved his Sekeu the best and that's definitely how she appeared in my mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Child Thief.

Quotes Tiara Liked

Brom
“Men-kind shared this world for but a blink, then, sadly, they became enlightened, found science and religion. The new world of men left little room for magic or the magical creatures of old. Earth’s first children were driven into the shadows by flame and cold iron, by man’s insatiable need of conquest.”
Brom, The Child Thief

Brom
“Christians. They’re determined to rid the land of any who worship the Horned One. Murdering all the druids, burning the temples, sometimes whole villages, and knocking over the standing stones.”

The Lady’s face hardened. “This god of peace and love certainly likes to bathe the land in blood.”
Brom, The Child Thief

05/03/2011 page 30
6.0% "In a small corner of Prospect Park, in the borough of Brooklyn, New York, a thief lay hidden in the trees. This thief wasn't searching for an unattended purse, cell phone, or camera. This thief was looking for a child."
05/10/2011 page 50
10.0% "Been going slow on the novels that I've been reading due to reading some comics that I wanted to catch up on, but after the expanse that was Cataclysm, I might need to take a break for a day or two. LOL."
05/10/2011 page 85
18.0% "Here, among so much drudgery--oblivous to the profane graffiti marring every available surface--these children could find joy. They can always find joy, he thought, because they still have their magic."
05/10/2011 page 122
25.0% "The girl played with her eyes closed, as though the fiddle was her voice singing a sad, slow song, and then the drum joined in, a deep, steady beat like a funeral dirge.."
05/15/2011 page 183
38.0% ""Christians. They’re determined to rid the land of any who worship the Horned One. Murdering all the druids, burning the temples, sometimes whole villages, and knocking over the standing stones.” The Lady’s face hardened. “This god of peace and love certainly likes to bathe the land in blood"
05/15/2011 page 240
50.0% "Men-kind shared this world for but a blink, then, sadly, they became enlightened, found science and religion. The new world of men left little room for magic or the magical creatures of old. Earth’s first children were driven into the shadows by flame and cold iron, by man’s insatiable need of conquest."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Monica Of course you've read this book. You've read almost everything I want to read. I was thinking about making this my next read. Your review and rating just made sure it'll be my next read.

Tiara I think you'll like it. I liked it way more than I thought I would. I love my imaginative retellings, and this has been one of the best ones for me. Let me know when you start reading it. I may join you with a reread!

Tiara I reblogged something for you on Tumblr, Monica.

Monica You're a cruel woman, Tiara.

Tiara Yes, I am. I really am.