Jane's Reviews > A Billion Wicked Thoughts: What the World's Largest Experiment Reveals about Human Desire

A Billion Wicked Thoughts by Ogi Ogas

1901583
Apr 30, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: non-fiction, dire-tripe, will-never-read

Haven't read it, won't read it. I was there when these jokers tried to mine Livejournal for 'facts' for this book through a thoroughly offensive, ethically corrupt survey (the questions of which changed constantly, rendering the data dubious to say the least) and exposed themselves as utterly clueless, patronizing, ignorant...I could go on.

A collection of links detailing what was known as 'Surveyfail' is here.

ETA: and here http://fanlore.org/wiki/SurveyFail

The links to the posts on the authors' blogs don't work; they deleted their journals and the comments they'd made elsewhere. Of course, by then people had taken plenty of screencaps...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Billion Wicked Thoughts.

message 1: by Chibineko (new)

Chibineko I was thinking of reading it, but after reading some of the material in the link you posted has changed my mind! Thank you for posting this!!

message 2: by Jane (new) - rated it 1 star

Jane Chibineko wrote: "I was thinking of reading it, but after reading some of the material in the link you posted has changed my mind! Thank you for posting this!!"

You're welcome! I read some extracts from it and a short essay by one of their colleagues that was very uncomplimentary about their research and methods so I doubt they've changed from when we met them on LJ.

Thoroughly arrogant and biased.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael what is LJ?

message 4: by Jane (new) - rated it 1 star

Jane Michael wrote: "what is LJ?"
Live Journal. It's a blogging site, not as busy as it once was but back in the day it was huge.

message 5: by Cj (new)

Cj McKay Did you really just review a book you've never read? Tragic.

message 6: by Jane (new) - rated it 1 star

Jane Cj wrote: "Did you really just review a book you've never read? Tragic."

Here, allow me to point you at the dictionary definition of that word.

What is truly disappointing is the foundation of sand upon which this book was built. Unless you were around on LJ when they were conducting their bogus survey, you probably can't comprehend what a clusterfuck it was. They are fakes, intellectually and morally bankrupt.They're a disgrace to their university.

message 7: by Jane (new) - rated it 1 star

Jane Cj wrote: "Did you really just review a book you've never read? Tragic."

And I did read parts of it. Enough to confirm my opinion. There's no rule about how many pages a reader needs to complete before DNFing a book.

message 8: by Cj (new)

Cj McKay "Haven't read it, won't read it."
"I did read parts of it. Enough to confirm my opinion."
"ENOUGH TO CONFIRM MY OPINION"

I know you're mad about... something, but come on.

message 9: by Jane (new) - rated it 1 star

Jane Cj wrote: ""Haven't read it, won't read it."
"I did read parts of it. Enough to confirm my opinion."
"ENOUGH TO CONFIRM MY OPINION"

I know you're mad about... something, but come on."

Curious; did you read any of the links regarding Surveyfail I pointed to? Acquaint yourself with any of the background to this? Because I truly can't see what your problem is. People rate books they haven't read on GR in their thousands. I did it based on a sure and certain knowledge that the research for this was deeply flawed meaning the end result could never be anything but garbage. You make a cake from mud not flour and all the frosting in the world won't imp[rove the taste.

message 10: by KimberlyRose (new) - added it

KimberlyRose Jane, I see your aggressive commenter there has also reviewed a book he "gave up on" (implies to me a DNF) with a one star. lol. I believe your review and reasoning are solid, especially considering the reviews here are at GR are supposed to be our personal responses to books.

message 11: by Jane (new) - rated it 1 star

Jane Kimmy wrote: "Jane, I see your aggressive commenter there has also reviewed a book he "gave up on" (implies to me a DNF) with a one star. lol. I believe your review and reasoning are solid, especially considerin..."

Heh. Yes; we can one star after one line if we like, and I read more than that by looking at the excerpts. And given their own university disowned them, I'm not sure they have any credibility at all.