Tara's Reviews > The Septembers of Shiraz

The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer

F 50x66
May 01, 11

Read in April, 2011

I enjoyed it but I didn't love it. It was a lazy read because I took a long time to finish it, which indicates it is a book that can put down. Thought provoking. Sometimes the story was slow. I liked that the main character evaluated himself outloud, both religously and morally, but he never seemed to make any determinations either way. The authors description of place and culture was excellant and I felt transported. I was fond of all the characters, but I was annoyed with the son's narrative. Everytime it switched to his perspective the story seemed to drag. Nothing ever seemed to develeop with him (not events or understanding). Insightful depiction of another culture and time. I felt so empathetic for the people and the game of survival they had to play. The ending was okay for all of the characters except Parviz's (the son). I felt like he didn't have any resolution and again I felt annoyed that he was even part of the story. I think he could have been better developed. Tragic for the people of Iran and it resonates as a depiction of everyones humanity.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Septembers of Shiraz.