Jen C (ReadinginWBL)'s Reviews > Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

I don’t recall where I first read about Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simon. I had read enough book bloggers reviews to know I had to read this book. I listened to the audio of Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and I am glad I did. I am infatuated with English accents so this is a delight to listen to. Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand is set in a small village of Edgecombe St. Mary in Sussex. I loved this setting and could envision this little village that did seem to be very old fashioned.

Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand is a quaint little love story between two older, unlikely people, Major Pettigrew and Mrs. Ali. The Major has a wonderful sense of sarcasm that was even drier than my hubby’s! The Major is an older widow with one adult child, Roger. Roger was an annoying character who was always trying to improve his standings in life by meeting affluent people. He drove me nuts with his name dropping. Mrs. Ali is the local shop owner, originally from Pakistan. She is a lovely character. She is intelligent and full of life and while cognizant of the values of her heritage, she was willing to go against convention to ensure her own happiness. Both the Major’s and Mrs. Ali’s families, like all families can be messy, complicated and unkind.

My favorite character had to be Abdul Wahid. Abdul was set in the old ways of his heritage, but yet conflicted about it. Abdul ended up being a very complicated person with many layers to him. He was misunderstood at times or maybe even conflicted about his own feelings

This was a fairly quick listen that was very enjoyable to listen to.

My Rating: 4/5 – a light enjoyable listen. The accents on the audio were wonderful. I love my English accents!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.