Parajunkee's Reviews > Enclave

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

May 23, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed, favorites
Read in April, 2011

This one rocked it. Original. Anxiety Ridden. Zombies...a touch of romance. What more can you ask for.

Enclave by Anne Aguirre

If a book could render me speechless it would be ENCLAVE. So, I sat and thought about it for about a week. I don't want to destroy it with words like amazing, wonderful, spectacular, it just doesn't convey what this book was for me. It devoured me. Everything I was went into reading ENCLAVE within a 12 hour period. I opened the first page and did not take a breath until I read the last page. The originality of this piece was fantastic. There are only so many ways you can pen a dystopian novel and I think Ms. Aguirre stepped out of the box, showed us bits and pieces that we were familiar with and then added so much more. I'm in love with some of the dystopian books that I have read lately and I can't believe I found another to add to it's ranks. It's hard being published in a world that is going to compare you to the craziness that is The Hunger Games legacy - but these books are giving THG a run for their money. ENCLAVE now joins the ranks of the amazing YA Dystopian revolution that is happening this year. I can't wait to be be devoured by book two.

In a world ravaged by war and plague, what is left of the human race has splinted off into groups and become basically separate entities. Deuce's is world is called the Enclave. In her world 20 years of age is pushing geriatric status. At her 15th birthday she is finally given a name instead of Girl and her number designation and she is also given a role. She has had only one goal for most of her life, to become a Huntress.

After her naming ceremony she is paired with Fade an enigma of a man. He came from outside to live within the enclave and has not made many friend. His former partner died and Deuce is unsure if her pairing with him is punishment or reward. She quickly labels it as punishment though because on their first hunt, Fade doesn't follow orders and lands them both in trouble. As punishment they are forced to travel to the neighboring enclave and find out why they have suddenly gone quiet. Just a few actions on both their parts will change their future entirely and everything that Deuce has known will come crumbling down around her.

This is not just another Zombie, Dystopian novel. This is so much more. The zombie, or Freak element in it just adds the intended anxiety, but the meat and bones of this novel is the break down of the world that Deuce and Fade live in. You think how could the human race get like this? But, it could, scarily it could. It would probably just take two generations. I think I might need to get off this dystopian, apocalypse kick because I'm scaring the heck out of myself. But, this is what these novels, in particularly ENCLAVE did for me.

What sets this series apart from the others?
ENCLAVE is action packed, this is not a romance. Deuce is a butt-kicking heroine, only 15 but in her world that is a mature woman.
There are so many levels to this story, which is reminiscent of THG, the Enclave, the underground, topside, the city...as more and more of the world is revealed it becomes much more complex.
The writing is spectacular. You feel in-tune with each place, like you can almost see it.
The characterization is also well-done, Aguirre will have you liking even the most despicable of characters.
The intensity of every moment. There is no downtime. So much things are accomplished in each page that you are constantly kept on your toes.

Recommended for fans of the dystopian genre. If you like The Hunger Games, Divergent or even adult titles like The Stand you should enjoy. This is a mature novel with some controversial topics and violence so it is recommended for a more mature teen reader.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enclave.