Nafiza's Reviews > Shattered Dreams

Aug 24, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: 2011, net-galley
Read on August 23, 2011

There are little details that jump out at you when you are reading a book. At least, they do to me. And I knew I would have trouble with this book when the author specified that the Grandma was watching "Fox" news' coverage of Hurricane Katrina. Think what you may, my intuition did not prove me wrong in this case. It niggled at my mind, that detail. She could have been watching any news station. There was no need to specify which one but she did and my mind kicked in high gear and off I went analyzing.

Anyway, that little preface aside, I believe the rating quite accurately reflects my reaction to the book. In the following paragraphs, I shall attempt to explain this reaction.

You know how you usually open a YA book with the protagonist or the love interest being the new kid at school? Well, we skip over that part and start up the story about two or three weeks after the fact. I don't know whose idea it was to start it like that and it could have been an innovative way to tackle an old cliche but truth is, it didn't work. Oh my God, it didn't work so much, my left eye twitches every time I think about it. What a beginning does is anchor the reader and let the narrative take shape and hook the reader in. This sudden dunking of a reader into a narrative that is already passionately underway? It makes a reader (me) feel off kilter and this feeling lasts all throughout the book. As though there is a story but events have occurred prior to you reaching the party and now no one's telling you anything about it because they're too busy being melodramatic teenagers. It's frustrating and - okay, if you are going to mention something like an argument and hint that it was a substantial one? Go back and talk about it. Okay? Otherwise there is a huge bowl of "huh" on the table and no one's hungry for that.

Let's talk about characters - actually, there is no characterization. None. Whatsoever. Trinity has no substance to her. No depth. Oh goodness, she drove me nuts. The melodrama, the excessive melodrama is off putting and there are only so many scenes I can take of the protagonist overemoting about things that really do not need that amount of pathos. "You lied to me!" "I hate you!" "How could you?!" Like, seriously? None of the characters are developed. Chase? The love interest may as well be cut out from cardboard and don't make me mention the friends and the "mean girl."

The mythology is not explored. In fact, I have no idea what's going on. She's psychic, yea? She has dreams/visions/etc. So? Why is that such a big deal? I mean, it's not like she's the first heroine in a novel to find out that she has powers and be tortured by them. So what makes her different? Oh apart from the fact that she seems to be continuously getting hurt and not feeling the pain if the scenes occurring after the getting-hurt parts are any indication.

This book has one of the most confused love stories ever. Chase, the lust object of the novel, is in a relationship with the resident mean girl when Trinity appears. And, of course, she's going to fall for him and, of course, he's going to reciprocate and wow, he's sort of a douchebag, But Trinity is more of a douchebag so I guess the match is made in heaven. His ex-girlfriend goes missing and all he wants to do is smooch Trinity. Sensitive, huh? And I have to mention this, being called "Baby" as an endearment and wanting to die because he said "Baby?" Yeah, it's not an indication of true love for me so forgive me if I'm not too impressed by it.

You know how overuse of ellipses make you want to grind your teeth? In this book, it's the overuse of italics. Especially of Trinity's name. For no reason at all. It's Trinity all the time and that's when the tick under my eye got worse.

The plot is scattered and Trinity's blowing hot and cold on Chase is just exhausting. She loves him oh so much and then a little later she's making out with the obligatory third person required to complete this flailing triangle. Even the ending does not clear up the narrative or tie up loose ends in the narrative. Oh and I love how this guy beat up Trinity and the cops were around and not one of them noticing a guy hitting a girl. Nothing happened to him.

Do yourselves a favour. Skip on this one.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Dreams.

08/23/2011 page 144
41.0% "Sigh. I have no idea what's going on."
08/23/2011 page 163
46.0% ""Baby" is not an endearment that makes me feel warm and tingly."
08/23/2011 page 171
49.0% "The protagonist is driving me nuts. She's getting beat up and she's hurt and the guy says and does something and she "wants to die." Driving me absolutely nuts."

message 1: by Aleeeeeza (new)

Aleeeeeza thanks for the very helpful rating :D

Nafiza Hehe. It drove me nuts, this book.

message 3: by Miti (new)

Miti Bpunkt Your review is brilliant! thx for that! I can't believe how other authors give away their "good names" to promote this book: http://www.lexcopyright.hu/index.php?...

Nafiza Haha. Thank you. I checked out the link. They're all authors I don't particularly enjoy so I'm not surprised. :D

message 5: by Aleeeeeza (new)

Aleeeeeza overuse of italics ewwwwwww

Nafiza :| Italics + ellipses make me want to tear my hair out.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree with everything you said. This book was just awful.

Nafiza Hi Kara! And yes, I didn't understand what was happening in it at all. Sort of like a big wail fest. :\