Eden's Reviews > So Much Closer

So Much Closer by Susane Colasanti

Apr 30, 11

The cover:

I actually like this cover, though I usually detest no-face models. In this one, they don't look like they've been deliberately hidden--they look like they could be in an actual, you know, conversation (instead of making out behind a tree or whatever); the girl's hand flicking away adds to that feel. The boy could be either of the two main male characters, which is an intriguing possibility. Having an actual setting in the background sets the mood right as well.

The book:

I totally didn't expect to like the novel (no matter how much the cover appealed), but Susane Colasanti ops for a, well, balanced balance: Brooke's worries encompass school and romance (lighter subjects) as well as the problem of her parents' divorce. Her attitude towards making the best of New York City even when her relationship with Scott seems to be crawling is what makes her so likeable. Brooke never focuses solely on Scott (despite what her actions state), which would've been a deal-breaker.

The character of John is the true sunshine here. He's got the disability dysgraphia, which makes his personality and perspective ever so unique; he shows Brooke the best NYC sights, and he wholeheartedly captured my heart before he got Brooke's. The discussions between Brooke and Sadie over "boy confidence" endear them both to the reader; Brooke's concern for Sadie's love interest ensures Brooke isn't wrapped up in her own problems. There are one or two people who could almost be defined as random, expect for how Colasanti uses them to develop her protagonist.

Brooke's oblivion to how John feels (especially after his reaction to her being with Scott) is a little hard to believe; the end Brooke and Scott's relationship meets is also a little predictable. The issues with her parents and old friends add some needed weight to the light mood, but the issues Brooke has with school and her campaign of failing it (even though she's supposedly a genius in IQ) just seem petulant. I'm not sure what the title's relevance is (it seems to be one of those obscure phrase titles with hinted-at double meanings), but overall So Much Closer is a warm, sweet read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Much Closer.